Sunday, December 9, 2007
Tomato and Eggplant Pate
I love eggplants!! I created this pate the other day and it was a hit.
- In a large frying pan or wok saute the following (line the pan with olive oil):
1 heaping tablespoon of crushed garlic
1/2 sweet onion - chopped (you don't have to make the pieces too small)
1 medium size eggplant (cut into thin slices and quartered)
4 or 5 grinds of sea salt
4 or 5 grinds of pepper
3 or 4 shakes of paprika
- Saute until onions are golden and the eggplant is soft and thoroughly cooked through. Set aside to cool.
- In a food processor add the following:
1/3 can of tomato paste
3 to 6 tablespoons of sun dried tomatoes
12 to 20 kalamata olives
The sauteed mixture (if it is still warm, that's okay)
A few grinds of salt
A few grinds of pepper
3 to 5 shakes of red pepper flakes
Olive oil (Add a couple of pours - don't go crazy)
- Blend mixture. If too thick, add more olive oil.
- Blend in more salt and pepper until you get the right balance. Remember, you can't take away, so only add a little at a time. Blend and sample. Add more olive oil, salt and/or pepper until it tastes just right. I'd sample it with a salty chip so that you don't go too nuts with the salt.
- Put pate into the refrigerator (I used a glass bowl). The pate will become more flavorful as it sits and cools. Also keep this in mind when adding salt and pepper.