- In a large frying pan or wok saute the following (line the pan with olive oil):
1 heaping tablespoon of crushed garlic
1/2 large sweet onion - chopped (small bite sized pieces)
1 medium size eggplant (cut into thin slices and quartered)
4 or 5 grinds of sea salt
4 or 5 grinds of pepper
3 or 4 shakes of paprika
3 or 4 shakes of dried basil
4 or 5 shakes of red pepper flakes
2 good shakes of seasoning salt
- Saute until all the eggplant pieces are soft.
- In a large rectangular baking dish add contents in this order....
1. Pour 1/4 jar of spaghetti sauce (I like Trader Joe's organic marinara) lining the bottom of the pan (pour in more if needed to cover bottom f pan)
2. Add sautéed mixture evenly across pan as the next layer
3. Dabble 1/4 of spaghetti sauce here and there
4. Add 1 package of fake ground beef as the next layer (frozen is fine)
5. Place fresh spinach as the next layer (I used approximately two large handfuls of spinach)
6. Slice 8 to 12 medium sized mushrooms. Use enough mushrooms to form a complete layer over the spinach.
7. Pour the remaining sauce over the mushrooms, covering them as a full layer.
8. Grate soy mozzarella and sprinkle across the top.
Bake uncovered for approximately 35 minutes.
I served this dish on top of seasoned, sliced, baked polenta.