Sunday, December 14, 2008

Sweet Potato Pie

I created this pie for my Southern Comfort Food themed dinner. I served it cold, although I'm sure it would have been yummy hot as well. 


INGREDIENTS:
~1 large deep-dish pie crust - I used a store-bought deep-dish pie crust, but if you're into making your own pie crust - go for it! 
~3 medium to large sweet potatoes
~approximately 2 tablespoons of vegan margarine (I use Earth Balance)
~1/2 cup (regular) soy milk
~1/2 cup maple syrup
~2 tsp vanilla
~2 to 4 tsp brandy (bourbon would work too) - This item is optional and should be added according to your own taste buds.
~1 tsp cinnamon 
~1/2 tsp sea salt
~1/4 tsp ground ginger
~1/4 tsp nutmeg
~Agave syrup - This item is optional and can be added to make the pie sweeter. Add a little at a time until you get the desired sweetness. 
~Whole pecans for garnish (optional)


PRE-HEAT OVEN: 375 degrees

STEP ONE: 
Cook sweet potatoes 
I cooked mine in the microwave to reduce prep time, but you can steam or bake them.

STEP TWO:
In a large mixing bowl, mash sweet potatoes (remove skins) with vegan margarine and soy milk. Mix in maple syrup, vanilla, brandy, cinnamon, salt, ginger, nutmeg and agave syrup. 

STEP THREE:
Pour mixture into pie crust. Garnish with pecans (I put pecans in a circle around the outer rim of the pie and another circle of pecans within the center of the pie. 

STEP FOUR:
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes and cool on a rack before serving. 


I served this as a side dish, but it could also be served as a dessert. I didn't make mine too sweet, so it complimented the food well. A sweeter version would be great after dinner with coffee. 

No comments: