Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Southern Style Mock Meat Loaf

A snow storm hit us this weekend and I ended up spending a lot of time in my kitchen. I'm not a fan of the snow, so spending the day next to my oven was just fine with me. I didn't step outside my house (that would have required me to change out of my comfy yoga pants) so I had to work with what I had on hand. Good thing, because it forced me to improvise and through this I came up with a tasty "meat" loaf that held together beautifully. Plus, it made killer left-overs.


*Whenever I have a block of tofu that is about to expire before I can use it, I stash it in my freezer. Tofu takes on a different consistency when it has been frozen and then defrosted (you can do this in the microwave in a matter of minutes - just be sure to squeeze as much water out as possible). It is more spongy and therefore is able to suck up marinade like nobodies business. So, if you have one of these blocks of frozen tofu, get it out - I have a recipe for you.



INGREDIENTS:

~one block tofu (previously frozen and defrosted)*
~one cup TVP (texturized vegetable protein - put one cup of TVP in a bowl with 1 cup of water and set aside until water is thoroughly absorbed. Drain off any residual water)
~1/3 purple onion - chopped
~3 mushrooms - thinly sliced/chopped
~approx. a cup garbanzo flour (soy flour would work too)
~ 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
~1/2 to 1 tsp garlic powder (optional)
~Panko (approx. 1/4 cup)
~Matzo meal (approx. 1/8 cup) - If you don't have matzo meal, you could use more panko or another type of bread/cracker crumb
~BBQ sauce
~Teriyaki Sauce
~Organic ketchup
~Hot sauce (optional)
~Black pepper
~Paprika (optional)


Pre-Heat Oven 350 to 375 degrees.


STEP ONE: In a skillet with a little olive oil saute the onion and mushrooms until soft. 


STEP TWO:  In a large mixing bowl prepare the wet ingredients...

A. Mash tofu (be sure to squeeze out as much water as possible) into small chunks with fork
B. Add TVP
C. Add sautéed onions and mushrooms
D. Mix ingredients together
E. Add teriyaki sauce - add a little at a time, mix to thoroughly coat - add more for flavor. 
F. For more robust taste add a little BBQ sauce and/or ketchup.  For a spicier twist add some hot sauce to taste. 


STEP THREE: In a small mixing bowl combine the following dry ingredients....

Garbanzo flour, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, panko, matzo meal, ground pepper to taste, paprika to taste. 


STEP FOUR: Combine dry and wet ingredients in large bowl and mix well. Depending on how much wet ingredients you have, you may need to add more panko/matzo meal to make the ingredients stick together. 


STEP FIVE: Pour mixture into large loaf pan. Then....

A. Coat the top of the loaf with a combination of BBQ sauce and ketchup, creating a nice layer on top. A basting brush works great for this. 
B. Bake uncovered for approximately 40-50 minutes, depending on your oven. The loaf should be solid when you remove it from the oven. 
C. Let chill for approx. 5 to 10 minutes. Slice and serve. 


I made a shiitake mushroom gravy that tasted great with the loaf. It takes fine without it, but I love any excuse to eat gravy! 

2 comments:

Dustin said...

This sounds Amazing!!!!

Heather Z said...

You've actually eaten a version of this. I made it for Becky's birthday party. You should come over some time and I'll teach you how to make it. Freezing the tofu first is the key.