Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Faux Meat Balls

Last night my husband and his friends were hanging out. It was getting closer to dinner time and I wanted to make something that would feed three hungry guys and myself. I came up with this idea on the fly, just based on stuff I had around the house.

First: Cook up 1 cup of brown rice.

In a food processor blend the following until creamy:
4 large mushrooms
1 can (drained) white northern beans
2 handfuls of spinach
4 to 5 heaping spoonfuls of sun dried tomatoes
sea salt
ground pepper
red pepper flakes
basil (I only had dried on hand, but I added a bunch)
1 can tomato paste
3 or 4 scallions
1 heaping spoonful of crushed garlic
paprika

Pour creamy contents into bowl.

Stir in the cooked brown rice.

Add quick cook oats (dry) and stir (probably around a 1 1/2 cups)
Stir in breadcrumbs (I used matzo crumbs) (probably around 1 cup).

Keep adding oats and breadcrumbs until the consistency is thick enough to form into balls. If they're still a little sticky, use a couple of spoons to shape the balls.

In two frying pans, add a little olive oil on the bottom and then place the balls around the pan so they're not touching. Brown the balls and flip over. Add a little water to the pan and cook with a lid on the pan. The cooking time is rather short, probably around 7 to 10 minutes.

Serve with catchup, BBQ Sauce or hot sauce. My guests experimented with a variety of toppings that I suggested. This recipe made a ton of food, which was promptly gobbled up in its entirety.

No comments: