Monday, November 26, 2007

Creamy Split Pea Soup

I've made split pea soup a bunch of times, but this particular mixture of ingredients had my husband in soup heaven. It didn't seem all that special as I was making it, but it did come out really nice, so I figured I'd record what I did. 

Bowl the following in a saucepan until almost all the water is gone: 
1 1/2 cup dry yellow and green split peas (equal mix)
3 1/2 cups water
6 to 8 mini-carrots (whole)

When the water is getting low add the following and keep cooking on medium for a few more minutes: 
a scallion (cut in thirds, to fit in sauce pan)
one heaping teaspoon of minced garlic
cayenne pepper (a few shakes)
red pepper flakes (5 shakes)
paprika (8 good shakes)
seasoning salt (a couple shakes)
salt (5 grinds)
pepper (8 to 10 grinds)
Braggs (4 shakes)

Pour the entire mixture from the saucepan into the food processor. Add the following: 
1 heaping tablespoon of vegan margarine
Tamari sauce (5 or 6 shakes)
1 1/2 cup water
Blend until creamy. If the mixture is still really thick then add a little bit more water. Don't go crazy, you want it a little thick. 

Pour the blended mixture back into the saucepan and re-heat. 
Add 1/2 bag frozen sweet corn and stir.

Cook until heated thoroughly. 



2 comments:

Violet's Mama said...

Yum! I made something similar this weekend, but added curry powder, it turned out surprisingly well.

Heather Z said...

I usually make it with yellow curry too, but this time I left it out and used Tamari. The Tamari gave it a nutty taste. I really liked my addtion of the sweet corn, which off set the flavor nicely.