Pre-heat Oven: 425 degrees
Add the following dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix throughly:
- 1/2 cup sugar (these scones are not sweet)
- 3 1/2 cups flour (I used Bob's Red Mill - whole wheat pastry flour)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 cup vegan shortening (I used Earth Balance, it comes in sticks and easy to cut the correct amount, you can also use vegan margarine)
- 1 can pumpkin puree (regular size can, NOT pumpkin pie mix)
- A handful of crystalized ginger cut into small raisin-sized pieces
- Gently mix ingredients (you don't want to over mix, because the dough won't be as flakey) until the dry ingredients become more wet and the dough begins to form.
- Then on a cutting board (lightly floured) knead the dough until the dry parts are all incorporated.
- Roll out dough or push out with hands until dough forms a circle.
- Slice the dough into 12 triangles.
- Place on baking sheet (non-stick pan or lightly sprayed pan) with enough room between each other for expansion as they bake.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.