Saturday, November 19, 2011

Gluten Free - Cinnamon Raisin Bread

My husband and I are trying to reduce our gluten intake. So I've been experimenting with various gluten-free flours and ingredients. Last night I made a loaf of cinnamon Raisin Bread that turned out really yummy. 

In a large bowl MIX the following DRY ingredients:
~ 1 cup sorghum flour (try Bob's Red Mill brand)
~1 + 1/8 cup oat flour (try Bob's Red Mill brand)
~ 1/2 cups Brown Rice Flour (I get this in bulk or use Bob's Red Mill)
~1/2 cup tapioca starch (I get this really cheap at Asian markets, but Bob's Red Mill makes this too)
~3 tsp of Xantham Gum (this is a key ingredient - don't leave this item out, it won't form correctly)
~1 tsp sea salt
~1 Tbsp Yeast (I buy this at Costco where I can get a huge container of this for less than the price of a few little packages at the grocery store. Just be sure to keep it in your fridge.)
~1 Tbsp + 1 tsp Cinnamon (I get this from Costco in a huge container, which is pretty affordable)
~ 2 Tbsp + 1 tsp Organic Pure Cane Sugar (I get this at Costco too, 1 giant bag costs a little more than one regular size bag at the grocery store)
MIX THESE DRY INGREDIENTS THEN ADD 
~1 or 1 + 1/2 cup organic raisins (I get these in a giant bag at Costco)

In another bowl MIX the following WET ingredients:
~2 Tbsp + 1 tsp flax meal with 6 Tbsp water - MIX TOGETHER before adding the rest of the wet ingredients (I just got a giant bag of this at Costco for a great price, but you can buy the flax seeds in bulk and grind your own flax meal)
~1 Tbsp agave syrup (you could add a little more to make the bread sweet)
~2 Tbsp flax oil (I got this from Costco too)
~1 tsp apple cider vinegar (I used the Bragg's brand)
~1-3/4 cups water 

Add the wet to the dry and thoroughly mix. It will form into a globulous dough.

Get your bread maker ready to go with the basket and kneading paddle in place. Scoop the dough into the basket so that it fills the bottom evenly.

Set your bread maker for GLUTEN-FREE (if you don't have this option, set it for WHITE), 1.5 POUNDS, DARK browning. (Your bread maker will knead the dough and bake it, which should take less than 2 hours).

No comments: