Sunday, September 6, 2009

Lime Coconut Cookies

For my husband's 40th birthday, I organized a (vegan) Jamaican theme party. Here's the flyer I made: 


If you read my last post, you'll know I've been hooked on coconuts! What better way to use coconuts than in Caribbean food. This was a great excuse for me to experiment with the flavor of coconut. One of my creations was a spin on a sugar cookie. I used lime and coconut, which resulted in a sweet but tart cookie. I iced them in Rasta colors (red, green and yellow) to coincide with the theme. 

NOTE: Since childhood, I've always enjoyed raw cookie dough more than actual cookies. This particular cookie dough was amazing raw! I think it would be great to use in a homemade (vegan) cookie dough ice cream, especially one made from coconut milk! 

DOUGH INGREDIENTS/INSTRUCTIONS: 

Using an electric mixer (I use a handheld one) beat the following until creamy: 
1/2 cup non-dairy butter
3/4 cup sugar

Now add the following to your mixture:
1 1/2 tsp egg replacer mixed with 2 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp vanilla extract

In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients together (see list below). After the dry ingredients are throughly mixed, add them to the wet ingredients and beat with the electric mixture until the dough forms: 
 1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour (I use Bob's Red Mill)
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 handfuls (or so) of raw shredded coconut

Divide dough into two balls, seal in plastic wrap and store in fridge at least a 1/2 hour. 

Bake at 350 degrees

Cooking time will depend on the size of the cookie. I used small cookie cutters, so my cookies only took around 6 minutes. Otherwise normal size cookies should take around 12 minutes or so. 

Throughly cool before icing (although they taste fine without icing)


2 comments:

Unknown said...

that didnt work for me, it was very7 crumbly, didnt make dough.

I didnt figure out if I should add more butter or lime juice , are you sure on the amounts?

Heather Z said...

It can be very crumbly. I'd beat it with a little extra non-dairy butter next time and get it really cold in the fridge before trying to form into cookies.