Friday, May 29, 2009

Pancake Bread (Banana, Blueberry and Chocolate Chip Bread)

Ok, the name is weird - Pancake Bread! I wanted to make a bread that contained all the things I like to eat on a pancake. My nephew thinks the name is totally wrong; as he feels pancakes are flat NOT bread. He wants me to call this Pudding Bread (The bread is EXTREMELY moist and when he ate it warm, the bread did have a pudding quality). Whatever you want to call the stuff, I think it tastes yummy and my Mommy agrees! Here's what I used (as best I can remember): 

TURN OVEN TO 350 DEGREES

In a large mixing bowl: 
~squish three large, ripe bananas (mush 'em up really good)
~1/4 heaping cup of apple sauce (unsweetened)
~Slightly less than 1/4 cup olive oil
~3 to 4 heaping spoonfuls of blueberry preserves (I used an organic, low sugar jam from Trader Joe's)
~3 tablespoons maple syrup (the real stuff)

Mix all the wet ingredients around. Then add the following dry ingredients to the bowl:
~1.75 cups of whole wheat flour (I use Bob's Red Mill)
~2 to 3 tablespoons flax meal
~1/3 cup brown sugar
~approximately 1/4 cup (quick cook) rolled oats
~ a couple shakes of ground nutmeg
~1 teaspoon (or more to taste) of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of finely ground sea salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda

Mix all the dry ingredients with the wet. Use a mixing spoon. Taste and add more jam, maple syrup or brown sugar to get the sweetness you like. Remember, there will be chocolate chips, so don't go crazy with all the sugar!!

Add the following to the bowl and mix together: 
~1.25 cups of blueberries (I used frozen, organic ones that were defrosted)
~a couple handfuls of walnuts (I broke these apart with my hands, but you can chop these up)
~ a couple of handfuls of chocolate chips (I used the semi-sweet ones from Trader Joe's)

Pour ingredients into a loaf pan. I used a glass (pyrex) loaf pan, but I'm sure metal will be fine. Just spray the pan first with some non-stick cooking spray. 

Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. Cool on rack.  
Enjoy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

yummy! I bet my kids would love this.

Anonymous said...

It was very interesting for me to read that post. Thanx for it. I like such topics and anything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read more soon.

Best wishes
Timm Clade