Friday, April 10, 2009

Calzone - Super Easy!!

I bought whole wheat pizza dough from Trader Joe's the other day and when I was about to make a pizza for the billionth time I had an epiphany......calzones are made out of pizza dough! I haven't had a calzone since the 80's; so those suckers have been way off my radar forever. I had completely forgotten how delicious a calzone could be. I must admit, my first attempt at calzones was off the charts - so I feel compelled to share what I did. 

Here's what I used that was store bought: 
~1 bag of whole wheat pizza dough (enough to make one large pizza pie)  from Trader Joe's
~1 jar pizza sauce from Trader Joe's 
~Vegan cheese (I only had cheddar in the house, but it tasted great); I use Follow Your Heart.

In a food processor I coarsely chopped (amount is estimated): 
~2 handfuls of baby portabella mushrooms
~4 tablespoons of sun dried tomatoes (in oil)
~1/3 bag of fresh spinach 
~2 handfuls of fresh broccoli florets 
~2 handfuls of pine nuts
~salt, pepper, garlic powder and basil (to taste)

On a floured surface, I rolled out the dough and separated into four pieces. I scooped the mixture onto one side of the dough. I really piled it on. I added on top:
~shredded cheese (I shredded about 1/3 of the block of cheese for all 4 calzones.)

Then I folded over the dough and pinched it closed. I placed the calzones on a non-stick pizza pan and squished them making the calzones more flat, which expanded their surface area.

In a small bowl I combined olive oil and garlic powder then coated the tops of the calzones with this using a brush. 

I baked them at 425 degrees for approximately 15 to 20 minutes. I took them out when they became slightly brown and no longer doughy. 

I served them with:
~pizza sauce (warmed up first) poured over the top. 
~sliced avocado and tomato on top with salt and pepper to taste. 

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

Yum! I actually made a giant calzone the first time I tried to make pizza with TJ's dough... I totally fucked it up and just flopping it over was the only thing I could do to salvage it. Now I make calzones on purpose!

Steven Brown said...

My wife and I really liked this article. I have used it a few times. I think a lot of people would benefit from it. You should post it on Wacanai.com(http://www.wacanai.com/intro). They get a lot of traffic on the website and you can link it to your page so it will get more people going to your website. You can search for similar articles and when you post your article it will show you other articles that you may like. It's worth checking out.